How you all doing? Our current challenge is all about embossing -Wet or Dry. Hope you have enjoyed our DT inspiration posts. To inspire you a little more I am sharing a easy tutorial on coloring vellum. Vellum can add interesting and effective embellishments in your projects. I love to heat emboss vellum specially in white.And vellum was the major reason for me to buy heat embossing supplies a year back. Try to add embossed vellum in your projects and believe me, you will too love it. Ok lets head over to tutorial.
Materials Required -
- Inkpads - You can choose any ink - dye, distress or pigment. For my tutorial I am using pigment inks. Since pigment inks take a longer time to dry, you can remove excess ink. Take at least two shades of a color to add tone to image
- Ear buds - Ear buds will help you to apply and blend ink in smaller areas which cannot be done with daubers or ink blending tools. So buds will work like brushes.
- Heat embossed vellum
- Tissue - to remove excess ink or ink over embossed lines
Method 1: Coloring vellum from embossed (front) side.
This method is used when intense colors are required on vellum.
1. Heat emboss your image on vellum.
2. Take earbud and apply a light shade on vellum flower.
3. Apply second layer of color. If you go over embossed lines, remove it with tissue.
4. Take darker color ink and apply in center or at areas where you want darker tone.
Method 2: Coloring vellum from back side.
In this method you can use sponge daubers if you want single color flower. I am using cotton bud. Process is same but it gives soft, diffused flower. Here are step by step pictures -
I have also tried coloring with distress inks. Applied again with cotton buds. Here's a sample -
And this a card I have made using above flowers n leaves-
Distress Inks - mowed lawn, shabby shutters, worn lipstick, spiced marmalade, fired brick
Rangers Heat Gun
I hope you like this tutorial. We would love to hear your feedback. Feel free to ask your queries, we will get back to you. And if you haven't entered yet, hurry up, only few days left before challenge closes.
Happy Crafting !!